Friday 6 March 2015

Things are picking up! February round up

February felt far more productive, with 10 visits (21 complete BirdTrack lists), 65 species (70 for the year) and 5 patch ticks!

The first two visits provided fly over Mute Swans (1 on the 4th and 5 on the 5th), and the Shelduck from January was on the pool again on the 7th. The 4th also saw the only Golden Plovers of the Month, 47, with 290 Lapwing.

I decided to stay until well beyond birdable light on the 7th and walk the public footpaths in the North West corner of the patch, and this paid off handsomely with calling Tawny and Little Owl (102 and 103), two much hoped for new birds for the list. Seeing these is going to be an entirely different challenge.

The 8th was a beautiful clear Sunday, so I spent the entire day walking areas of the patch I don't often visit. This was anoth inspired decision as I scored both Grey Wagtail (patch tick 104), and Kingfisher for only the 3rd time, at what seems to be a reliable spot for this cracking species.



The 8th also saw a high count of Wigeon, 332, which was then beaten on the 12th with 361, and number continued to build up to 406 on the 25th, putting this flock amongst the largest in the county.

Part of the large Wigeon flock in February

The Shelduck was last seen on the 12th, but replaced by an Egyptian Goose (105) on the 19th, which was a surprise at first light in with a small mixed flock of Greylag and Canada Geese, which flushed as soon as I entered the field (else I would have displayed another fine piece of photography). Presumably the same Gypo was seen at Draycote the next day.

Photo courtesy of a resident who had two the day before I saw mine

A very standard Chiffchaff was on the vegetated bank of the brook running to the east of the pool on the 24th, very close to where I saw one in November.

The final highlight of February gave me a great sense of relief, as two Ravens (106 life, 70 year) "Cronked" over on the 28th. I have Ravens over my house often enough to barely take note, so was surprised it took me so long only a couple of miles North. A decent count of 22 teal were on the pool as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment